Thursday, October 20, 2011

Memoirs

The other day, when we were moving furniture in the living room, I took the opportunity to rummage through my hope chest.  The tv lives on it these days, so I don't get to open it very often, which is ok.  It is full of amazing stuff from my childhood, and I wanted to share some of it with Colin.

I took the chance to pull out some stuff for Roland.  Namely, a quilt made by my Great-Great-Great Grandmother.  It's never been used, never been washed...it's a beautiful handmade quilt.  We're not going to use it for him regularly of course, but I want to get some pictures with him on it.

In addition to that, the blanket that my Great-Grandmother Alice made me when I was born, the baptismal blanket I got from my Great Aunt June and Uncle Bob, and the baptismal gown that my dad was baptized in.  Even though Roland won't be baptized, I want him to wear the gown for his baby dedication.  A lot of very old stuff that I think would be neat to at least get photographs of him in.

I also grabbed Nochi-Nose for him.  Nochi-Nose is this book that I've had since I was tiny...he's actually the second copy I've owned.  It's a completely soft book with a head and a body.  You flip the pages up and the faces change with the pages.  On one side is Snow White and on the other side is Pinnochio.  I completely destroyed the first copy, so my parents got me another one.  He's a little worn and a little dirty, but he's still an amazing toy for a little boy.

I'm really excited that I have so many heirlooms that I can share with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment