Thursday, May 9, 2013

Abercrombie & Fitch

I'm a little pissed off about this.  Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries has made some incredibly shitty comments.  Basically, he only wants skinny and pretty people wearing his clothes.  The rest of the world isn't worthy.

A&F clothes don't go any higher than a women's size 10.  The average woman in America today wears a 12-14.  Personally, I will never wear a size 10, no matter how much weight I lose.  That's ok though, because I wouldn't shop there even if I could.

Abercrombie & Fitch has the right to create whatever clothes they want.  Lane Bryant caters to women who are a size 14 and up.  I don't really care about all that (although I think it's stupid for companies to cut out huge chunks of the population.)  They could create clothes in just a size 2 or in just a size 32.  That doesn't matter.  What matters here are the comments that Jeffries made and the attitude that he has copped.  When asked, 'Why don't you carry anything larger than a 10' the correct response would probably have been, 'We create clothes for our target audience' not 'Fat and Ugly people don't deserve my clothes.'

Of course, it's not the first time their CEO has made shitty comments.  How about the time he said A&F won't donate clothes to the poor because only people of a certain stature should be able to wear their clothes.  Yeah.  Seriously.  This guy is a complete douche.

You know what, you can look at someone who is overweight and you can think to yourself, 'That person is disgusting.'  Hey, I look at some people and I think that too.  Personally, I don't care what people think of me.  But you have no right to mock them or to try to pretend that you are making shitty comments out of some sense of concern for that person.  If you aren't my doctor, then you frankly have no business talking to me about my weight or my health.

So yeah.  I'll never shop at Abercrombie & Fitch.  I'll likely never buy my children clothes there either.  I don't appreciate the cruel comments and the fat shaming.  These people should know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment