Monday, May 20, 2013

Kaitlyn Hunt

I read this article this morning.  It's about the teenager in Florida who, after a lesbian relationship with a younger girl, has been kicked out of school.  Kaitlyn Hunt is 18, her girlfriend is 15.  The relationship started when the older girl was 17.

Ok, I have seen a lot of people calling attention to this about how unfair it is that this girl is being targeted for her gay relationship.  How the younger girl's parents are bigots and horrible people, etc etc etc.

It's true that perhaps the younger girl's parents did this out of spite, but you know that they aren't the first parents to do this. How many young adults every year are hit with charges of the same kind?  Come on, this isn't happening because Kaitlyn is gay...it's happening because Kaitlyn broke the law.  Yeah, I know that might an unpopular opinion.  The fact of the matter is, if you are 18, having a relationship with a younger person--same sex or not--is dangerous and could result in something like this happening.

I'm glad that there is a lot of support for this young woman.  Honestly, I don't feel that she did anything wrong, because I think the statutory rape laws are sometimes a little ridiculous.  And yes, the relationship started when she was 17...but that doesn't matter.  It's still against the law.

I'm sure that the parents are real assholes and they did this on purpose.  I'm not doubting that at all.  But it bothers me a little that so many people are making this about sexual orientation.  The headlines shouldn't read, '18-year-old charged for same-sex relationship.'  If she is being mistreated by the school (which it sounds like she has been) or by the media, that's a different story.  Honestly, I think making it out to be about sexual orientation is doing this girl and this entire situation a disservice.

I feel very frustrated by this whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment