Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ugh! Some peoples children.

I know this isn't really about MY pregnancy, but it's something I kind of fell compelled to rant about.

My husband and I are on this e-mail list for his denomination.  Theoretically, it is the list for the more liberal-minded among us.  I don't really pipe up very much, mostly because I don't have much time.  Also because I feel a bit awkward as a lot of the conversations are very theologically driven and I'm really not great at the theological discussions.

Anyway.  There have been a few e-mail threads lately that really rubbed me the wrong way.  There has been a lot of back and forth about how the best thing for a child is to be raised by their Biological parents.  And that Homosexual parents can't do it right.  She made a comment - "And yet, for the purpose of birthing and raising children - I think a society should recognize the wisdom and stability of traditional marriage." 


I nearly had a fit.  I know a LOT of people in "traditional marriages" who can't and shouldn't have children.  Hell, I sometimes question OUR ability to raise a child.  Being married to someone does not mean you are fit to raise them.  Just because you pass along your genetics doesn't give you magic child-rearing abilities.  So I told her that.  I tried not to rant and rave too much, but I definitely got a little passionate.


It doesn't matter if you are a heterosexual couple or a homosexual couple or a poly-family with 8 adults.  As long as you love and cherish that child and care for it...then you're a good parent.  Doesn't matter if you are in a "traditional marriage" or not.


One thing we will definitely teach our child is that bigotry and bullshit like that is never acceptable.

2 comments:

  1. I was raised by a heterosexual couple in a traditional marriage. I was loved and loved them. However, my teen years consisted of listening to them scream at each other at night and watching my mom devolve into an alcoholic. I would gladly have taken just one parent, two divorced parents, two same sex parents, six non-biological parents, anything to just have happiness in my house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you April. I feel it's best to raise kids with a sense of equality and fairness. To give them the best education you can, to nudge them to have healthy habits over the board, and to show them unconditional love. I may not be able to take care of my little girl right now myself, but I know she's getting everything she needs and is happy up in NH with my ex and his family.

    ReplyDelete