Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Appointment!

So, today was my first appointment with Dr. Burke.  Not gonna lie - I was terrified.  Worried that something would be wrong, or I wasn't really pregnant, or any other number of things.  As we were heading up to the office, I realized that Dr. Burke was who I saw waaaaay back in the day, before I left Missoula.  That made me feel slightly better, as I remember him being very relaxed.

The office was fantastic, roomy and brightly lit, and full of fun stuff to look at.  I peed in my cup and went back and talked to my nurse for a bit.  She was fabulous - she really went out of her way to set us both at ease.  There was a lot of joking and laughing.  She pinged us at being due December 21st - Long Night Baby!

The doctor came in, and he just contributed to me feeling at ease.  We talked about my medical history and my familial medical history and had some time to chit-chat.  Then came the fun part, where I get naked and flash my girly bits.  As normal, totally uncomfortable and awkward.  But...I totally win at the gratuitous cavity violation because we got to see...


SprogFace!  One happy, healthy, beautiful soon-to-be baby!  Or (as Dr. Burke put it) a tumor with a heartbeat.  :)  He let us listen to the heartbeat and we got to watch it squirm around a bit on the screen.  By baby measurements, it's 7weeks,6days.  But, my estimated due date is 12/21/11.

Everything up to this point has been pretty laced with terror.  But that moment was just magic.  Getting to see the little bundle of cells that is eventually going to be our baby and hear it's heartbeat was amazing.  I don't even know how to put into words the way I felt seeing that.  The way I still feel.  It really made it all so much more real...I really, really am pregnant.  We're really going to do this thing.

Dr. Burke told me the only concern he has right now (of course, we're still waiting on labwork to get back) is my weight.  He's told me he doesn't want me to gain any weight during the pregnancy.  The plan is that April will lose weight while SprogFace gains it.  I'm ok with this plan!  He wants me eating more fruits and veggies and exercising.  Fruits - easy peesey.  Vegetables - those are going to take a little more work.

So...SQUEE!  I really can't get my mind off the little blob of potential baby and the ridiculously fast heart beat.  I'm totally in love with my soon-to-be baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment