Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Be Amazing

The fact that my husband and I are planning on moving back to Missoula sometimes brings up mixed feelings for me.  On one hand, it's an amazing place to live.  It's absolutely beautiful.  There is just something about living in the mountains that brings me a sense of peace...although, I'll never live UP a goddamn mountain again.  I have some amazing friends there.  It's a good city and I love it.

On the other hand, there are times where I have difficulties divorcing the person I am today from the person I was 12 years ago.

Of course a person is going to change in a decade, but it's hard for me to remember that other people have changed just as much as I have.  And the person I am today is completely different from the girl I was when I first went to college.

Have you seen those Weight Watcher commercials?  The one where there are two people, both crying, one fat and one thin(ner)?  They're the same people, basically talking about how amazing their life is after Weight Watchers.  Ok, well, I hate those commercials, but that is kind of how I feel some days.  If I could talk to myself 10 or 15 or 20 years ago, I would give myself some advice.

First-People are cruel.  They'll make fun of you, they'll tease you, they'll treat you like shit. Their cruelty is not your fault.  And the things they say are not necessarily true.  Don't let the cruelty get to you, which I know is easier said than done.  Just remember that you are beautiful and you are amazing and you are perfect just the way you are.

Don't give up your dreams.  No matter how silly they might be, don't give up.  Keep working for the things that you love, the things that make you happy.  Don't let snide comments deter you, even when those comments come from the people that you love.  Yes, they should support you in what you do, but sometimes that doesn't happen.  Sometimes you just have to support yourself.

You are worthwhile.  Your stories and your life is just as important as everyone else's.  Don't let anyone tell you that your problems and dreams and concerns aren't as important as theirs.  You deserve to have friends that will treat you well.  You deserve to have friends that let you share the spotlight, even if it's just letting you have an open ear every down and then so that you can vent your frustrations.

You are beautiful.  You are amazing.

Live life to the fullest.  Live each day like it might be your last.  Tell your friends that you love them often.  Hold on to the good ones, because they are so hard to find.

Be amazing.

I'm excited to go back to Missoula, again.  It really is a city that draws you in.  No matter how far away I've been, my heart has always been there.  My priorities are a little different this time around--school and family are going to take top billing.  There are people that I can't wait to see and spend time with, though.

It's going to be a good move for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment