Friday, April 12, 2013

Horrible Bosses

Fair warning: This may be triggery to some people.

I wanted to write this post last night, but when it came to me, I was half asleep and totally out of it thanks to cold medicine and this horrific head cold.

I don't know why this didn't strike me before.  Maybe it's because I'm just as broken as the rest of our society.  I kind of feel like a horrible person, actually.

Ok, so, the movie Horrible Bosses came out in 2011.  For those who haven't seen it, the basic premise of the movie is that this group of guys all have horrible bosses and make a plan to kill them.  'Cause, you know, that's better than just getting a different job.

The bosses are all pretty terrible people.

Dale works as a dental assistant.  His boss, Julia, sexually harasses him repeatedly throughout the movie.  When his buddies are talking about their horrible bosses, Dale chimes in.  You know, because he is uncomfortable working in that environment.  And of course, his buddies all laugh at him.

Because guys can't get raped.  That's absurd.  And they especially can't be raped by a hot piece of ass like Jennifer Aniston.

I've never been raped.  I've never been sexually assaulted.  But I know men who have endured both.  And yes, some of them have been told, 'That isn't really rape.  That's not really assault.  You're imagining that.  That isn't what really happened.  Men can't be raped.'

That is the one that bothers me.


From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape


rape

1  [reyp]  Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap·ing.
noun
1.
the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
2.
any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.
4.
an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.
5.
Archaic. the act of seizing and carrying off by force.


So yeah.  Dale wasn't out of line at all about the way he felt about his boss.  Of course, at the end of the movie, she pretty much got off scott free.  Oh yeah, and one of Dale's buddies fucked her.  Cause, that's cool, right?

I wonder when it's going to be a serious topic and not fodder for a comedy?  Maybe more men need to feel that they can stand up and admit what happened to them, but I don't see that happening any time soon.  Admitting that you were overpowered by someone means admitting that you are weak, or that you were weak.  And weakness, as we all know, is despised.  If you are a victim once, you will be a victim for life.

And let's not forget the way women are treated when they have the audacity to admit that they've been raped or *gasp* name their attackers.  Like this.

So, yeah.  I can understand why men wouldn't want to step forward.  And I understand why women don't want to either.

What is WRONG with our society?


No comments:

Post a Comment