Monday, April 8, 2013

Prayin' the Gay away

(Alright, I fail miserably today, apparently.  The article reference below is apparently just satire.  *facepalm* I feel like a dumb ass.  However, I'm leaving the post up cause, well...I could see it happening.  So, just a fair warning!)

As a parent, I have a lot of responsibilities.  To teach my child right from wrong, to instill the moral compass that he will need to succeed in life.  To offer him as many opportunities as I can, to help him excel in life and whatever he wants to do.  To care for him and hold him and nurture him, physically and emotionally and spiritually.

To love him unconditionally, no matter what he decides to do with his life, and who he becomes.  Maybe down the line he'll realize that he's gay.  Or maybe he'll realize that he should have been born as a woman.  Or maybe he'll be a Republican.  No matter what he does, though, I will always love him.  He is my son.  That's one of the many responsibilities you agree to when you bring that little baby home from the hospital.

This couple obviously missed that memo.  They have put their 16 year old daughter up for adoption.  Pretty ridiculous, huh?  Why would you do that when your child is 16 and close to being on their own anyway?  Oh yeah, 'cause she's GAY.  And we all know that being gay is such a major, horrible, terrible thing.  /sarcasm

I'm trying to wrap my brain around this and I am failing miserably.  I know that there are many legitimate reasons for putting your child up for adoption...although I still think doing it when they are 16 is a little strange, no matter what the circumstance.  But doing it because they are gay?  Because their life choices are different than yours?

It breaks my heart.  This poor, poor little girl.  I just hope that she finds a wonderful family who will nurture her and love her and support her through the difficult years ahead of her.  The teen years aren't easy for anyone.  Especially for a teen who comes to realize that he or she is gay/bi-sexual/transgender.  She needs support and love and yes, she needs prayers...but not prayers that are aimed at getting her to change her mind or shove herself into a box where she doesn't fit.

I'm sorry, but these parents are terrible people.  They're better people than a couple that would say, kill their daughter for being gay.  But they're still terrible people and terrible parents.  Yeah, I can understand the shock...I can understand the worry and the dismay that your child will not be following your particular beliefs.  But, let's think about this for a moment.  If you are people who would be willing to give your child up for adoption for being gay, then you are likely a couple that is against gay marriage and homosexuals in general.  And most people are going to be vocal enough that their child will KNOW how they feel about homosexuals.

And she came out to them anyway.

Good for her.  Good for that brave and likely terrified little girl.

And to her parents?  They should be ashamed of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment