Saturday, March 30, 2013

Death on a Platter

Several years ago, I was living with my favorite Kennifur ever.  I made this casserole, and he dubbed it, 'Death on a Platter.'  It's amazing and cheesy and creamy and absolutely delicious...and it's full of, well, death on a platter.  Of course, when I moved back to Montana, I named it thus, and it has been a Horinek-ism since then.

Eventually, I'll write all about Horinek-isms.  They're pretty hilarious, actually.

Once again, I don't use any real measurements in my cooking.

This casserole is incredibly versatile.  You can make it as a side dish with dinner (we love to have it with Prime Rib) or you can make it as a breakfast food.  You can add ham or hamburger, or you can just leave it plain.

Ingredients:
Shredded Hash browns
Sour Cream
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Crushed Potato Chips or Cornflakes

Mix together the hash browns, sour cream, cream of mushroom soup and shredded cheddar cheese.  You want it to be nice and creamy, but not overly so.  Tonight when I made my batch, I used three bags of hash browns, two large cans of cream of mushroom soup and one small can, a large container of sour cream, and three small bags of shredded cheese.  Of course, add salt and pepper and alpine touch to your hearts desire.

We like our casserole to be extra creamy, so take that into consideration.  Some people like it cheesier, some like to use Cream of chicken soup or cream of celery.  After you have everything well mixed, plop it all into a large pan.  I prefer using the disposable tinfoil pans.

Spread a nice, thick layer of chips over top of the casserole and press it down slightly.  Cover the pan in tinfoil and bake at 350 for an hour-ish.  You want to bake until it's bubbling over and heated all the way through.

This casserole also reheats really well.  It makes for some amazing leftovers.  It's also an awesome freezer dish.  If you want to make several of these at a time (I do) you can cover them tightly in tinfoil and freeze them.  Do not put the chips on the top, because they'll get soggy.  If you're feeling really adventurous, you can crush your chips and put them in a baggie along with the dish.

Very, very tasty meal!  This is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment