Thursday, March 28, 2013

I got this

Tonight, I sat down and waded through my school stuff.  Yes, this is the kind of thing that an adviser should help me with, but really, I'd rather do it on my own.

As of right now, provided my History class transfers from UMUC...I have 13 classes (plus secondary licensure classes) before I graduate with my English Teaching degree.  That means that I could absolutely be finished with my degree in two years.

This idea is slightly terrifying, to be entirely honest.

I didn't do well my first time in college.  I didn't have a major, and I was too busy socializing to go to class.  I had a hard time focusing, because I didn't feel like I had any purpose.  After a year, I was on academic suspension.  Years later, when I got my shit together and I wanted to go back to school, I couldn't.  I had student loans in default that had to be dealt with, and then I had to jump through the hoops to be readmitted.

I started back in the fall of 2010, after 8 years away.  I left UofM at that point with a 2.13 GPA.

Now, after several years of taking part-time classes (and a year away) I have a 3.18.  I've had A's and B's in every class...mostly A's, aside from Math and Biology.  I have rocked school hardcore.  This time, I have a purpose and I have a goal in mind.

It's still a little terrifying.

In a few years, I could actually be entering the work force as a "real" adult, with a legitimate degree and everything.  I feel called to teaching, and I think I would do well with it.

If I decide to double major in Teaching and Creative Writing, I have three years left.  At this point, this will likely be what I do.  Even though it means taking two years of a foreign language, it would probably be good for me.

So that is where I stand right now.  I can't wait to get back to classes in the fall.  I have two more classes to take to satisfy my general education requirements, and then it's the race to the finish line.  This will mean a lot of literature classes and a lot of writing classes.  I think I can handle this.

No.  Strike that.  I know that I can handle this.

No comments:

Post a Comment