Monday, March 25, 2013

The Joy of Bathtub Fingerpainting

I like to think that I am an amazing mom, but sometimes, things just don't quite go as planned...

Several weeks ago, I bought packages of vanilla pudding with the idea of making homemade finger paint for Roland.  At first, I planned on letting him sit in the highchair to paint and make a mess, but then decided that it would be better to just plop him down in the tub to do it.  Awesome idea, right?

Well.  Maybe awesome in theory...

I think that my first mistake came when I put a few globs of 'paint' on his arms.  He's definitely my son, and sometimes there are texture things that bother him.  He wasn't thrilled with that.  Then I put some big globs on the bottom of the tub.  He poked at it a little, but I don't think he liked getting his hands dirty with it, for some reason.

Then, of course, he pooped in the tub (I took his diaper off, cause I figured I'd just give him a bath when we were done.)  As I was cleaning that up, he decided to try to stand up, slipped in the pudding, and fell on his butt.

This started a horrible yet amusing chain of events where he was trying to scramble to his feet, slipping, whining, and attempting to climb out of the tub...all while I was trying to get him to sit down and calm down so that I could run the water and we could take a bath.

And then, even worse, when I started running the water it came out cold.

He was not a happy little boy!

Eventually, he was bathed, I cleaned all of the pudding gunk off me and the bottom of the tub, and he was safely wrapped in a towel and allowed to roam free in the wilds of the living room.

Next time we do this, I think we'll do it in the highchair in the kitchen, cause the linoleum is easier to clean than carpet.  If we do it in the tub again, I'll put down the bath mat first to make it easier...or maybe put him in a laundry basket.

Mom activity fail!

Of course, I think this might have been where I tweaked my back, which has made the rest of my day a living hell.  I've taken pain killers, and hopefully sleep will ease it a little.  If not, I will try to make a massage appointment for sometime this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment