Saturday, March 16, 2013

Life of Pi

Last night, we watched Life of Pi.  I have to say that I was very impressed with the movie.  Visually, it was absolutely breathtaking.  I can't even imagine seeing it in 3-D.  Just...really stunning.  I could watch it over and over again just to see the scenery.

It also left me thinking, things that I am still trying to really wrap my brain around.

I am a very spiritual person, but I'm not religious.  I have a lot of issues with organized religion and the church, as a general rule.  I've had a lot of bad experiences, and if it weren't for my husband, I would never go to church.  I prefer to worship and pray in my own time and in my own way, without feeling pressure.

(I will warn you now, there are spoilers ahead.  If you don't want them, you should skip this.)

Pi weaves this amazing story for his new young author friend.  It is unbelievable and heartbreaking and inspiring.  At the end of the movie, Pi tells another story.  This story is just as heartbreaking and just as unbelievable, but in an entirely different way.

I've had a lot of arguments with people over the years about the Bible and the way that people interpret it.  I think this movie really sums my feelings up perfectly.

You can read the story about a mild mannered man who inspires people with his words, who teaches and preaches and spreads love and tolerance.  Then you can read a story about an energetic man who performs miracles, sowing love and belief wherever he goes.

They're the same story.  The start the same and end the same.  You can learn the same morals, find your heart filled with both.  But one is more exciting than the other.

It's my personal belief that very few of the stories in the bible actually happened the way they are written.  In oral traditions, stories are changed and embellished to captivate an audience and ensure they walk away with their lesson.  You need flash and you need excitement.

But just like in this movie, it doesn't really matter which story is true.

It isn't the end of the story that matters.  What really matters is the journey you endured to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment