Friday, March 29, 2013

The art of Kumihimo

As you all know by now, I've kind of gotten involved in the SCA.  And when I say I kind of gotten involved, I mean that I've kind of jumped into ALL THE THINGS.  I've been volunteering whenever and wherever I can, I've been learning as much as I can (although not nearly as much as I'd like.)  And I have been doing as many Arts and Science things as I can.

Seriously.  In the last six months, I've probably picked up eight new crafty things to play with.  This is totally awesome, because it means I always have something to do with my hands when I need busy work (of course, with my crappy ass joints, sometimes I can't really do much at all) and I enjoy having something pretty that I've made.

Recently, I picked up a kumihimo loom.  Well, two of them, actually.  A square one for making flat braids and a round one for the round braids.

I love it.

It's pretty and simple and elegant.  I haven't done much yet.  I used the rattail that came in the kit to make a little key ring and now I'm making a really lovely 16-strand braid that can be used for...something.  Maybe a purse handle.  I dunno yet.

Kumihimo is a Japanese form of braid making.  Wiki has a little bit to say about it.  It's simple and it really makes some beautiful braids.

It really is a lot easier than I anticipated.  Basically, with this kit, you just move the strings from one side of the loom to the other.  I bought this kit from Amazon, and I'm really pleased with it.  It comes with the loom, a little booklet, eight bobbins, and some rattail to play with.  For $12.00, it's a pretty awesome deal, at least if you want to give it a try.

Eventually, I plan on making myself one of these.


Obviously, this loom is a little more complicated.  You have to use weighted bobbins on your thread, as well as a weight on your braid to keep everything nice and even.  I think I could pretty easily make one, and it would make for an awesome conversation piece at events!

Of course, the one I currently have makes for nice and easy travel fun.  :)

Anyway.  Definitely something that is worth looking into, if you enjoy different textiles and you are looking for a new crafty thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment